We are a small not-for-profit foundation registered in the Netherlands. We advocate for individual independence in digital identity management and develop tools to enable the verification of those identities.
What we do
The foundation exists to:
- empower people to define their own online identity;
- help people gain independence from online corporations;
- educate those who live under Surveillance Capitalism;
- build inclusive tools and technologies accessible to all;
- build online communities for the people by the people.
We are currently working on Keyoxide, a tool to interact with Decentralized OpenPGP Identity Proofs.
Why we do this
Back in the early 2010's, I became fascinated by the "Login with your COMPANY X account" buttons scattered all over the internet. A single company providing a concept of identity, protecting it and increasing its value over time.
What could go wrong?
Following the many detailed reports on the data-greedy nature of companies like Google and Facebook and their impact on society and our lives, I started exploring novel ways to safeguard digital identity of the online citizenry while respecting privacy and user sovereignty.
Read about our motivations in our manifesto.